- Barlean's Review
CBD Oil Review rates the Barlean's Brand with four stars because it qualifies for the Quality, Mission, Innovation & Charity Badges.
User Review( votes)
Barlean's: 60-Second Summary
Barlean’s started out as an omega-3 supplement company and now, nearly three decades later, offers awesomely clean nutritional goodies from flaxseed oil to CBD oil. Their backstory couldn’t be more authentic, and it’s clear this Pacific Northwest brand is deeply invested in quality supplements and giving back to the global community. Transparent and ethical, they’re an easy CBD brand to get behind.
Barlean's Brand Review
The Barlean’s story begins with David Barlean who decided to quit his job as a pipefitter (don’t hear about that profession too often) to become a fisherman. He inadvertently became a pioneer in the commercial fishing industry by inventing a method to separate commercially ‘safe’ fish from prohibited species. David and his family then forayed into omega-3 supplements, then flaxseed oil, and now, Barlean’s offers a clean line of CBD supplements and functional foods. And they’re still family-owned and operated!
Barlean’s sourcing for their product line is impeccable, including their cannabidiol offerings which are made from US hemp. In fact, the brand is one of just a few dozen CBD vendors to be certified by the US Hemp Authority, and they’re one of the only CBD supplement companies we’ve seen that’s officially certified by the Non-GMO Project.
The quality continues with their CBD oil processing that includes both CO2 and ethanol extraction. If that’s not enough for you, one of their CBD oil tinctures actually has the USDA organic seal! The USDA organic seal is an extremely hard get in the CBD business, so we awarded Barlean’s the Innovation Badge for both this achievement and their emulsification techniques.
Barlean’s uses something organoleptic testing for their supplements, foods, and oils. Admittedly, we had never heard of this word before! It means a physical person (machines this isn’t for you) “…uses taste, smell, sight, and mouthfeel to determine if a product is good enough.” We love this commitment to humanness in an industry — and a world — that’s becoming increasingly automated.
On to the CBD product line!
First things first, you cannot purchase cannabidiol supplements directly from Barlean’s. To shop, you’ll have to buy from anaviimarket.com or find a retail location. Next, Barlean’s sells a ton of really awesome natural products, but for our purposes, we’ll just examine what they have by way of CBD oil:
- CBD oil soft gels- These contain full-spectrum cannabidiol and are available in 15mg or 25mg strengths.
- CBD oil tinctures.
- Organic CBD oil tinctures- Our favorite CBD product from Barlean’s has the coveted and hard-to-get USDA organic seal. These lovely drops of goodness contain full-spectrum CBD, organic hemp seed oil, organic hemp stalk oil, organic rosemary extract, and natural flavors.
- CBD edibles- Barlean’s makes CBD lemon drops and CBD chocolate mints that contain 25mg CBD in each bite. The ingredients are all-natural and tasty, and emulsification is used to increase absorption rates. We don’t know if they specifically use this for their cannabidiol or if they shrink the particles of other ingredients like their antioxidant blend. We’d like to know more about the emulsification process in these two CBD edibles.
Barlean’s takes charity to another level by supporting nonprofits both in the US and abroad. Currently, they contribute to Compassion International, Kidstown International, Vitamin Angels, and Autism Hope Alliance. It’s all part of their ethos to be a part of something bigger, a higher purpose. By purchasing their products, you can join Barlean’s charitable mission.
The only thing preventing Barlean’s from a perfect score is a lack of published test results for potency and contaminants. You can enter your product’s lot number on the website to apparently see a cannabinoid profile, and we know that Barlean’s employs rigorous testing protocols. But until consumers can see these results online before they buy, we have to withhold the Safety Badge.
Bottom Line – Barlean’s has a clean offering of CBD products with natural ingredients and an authentically charitable mission behind them. Check out their USDA organic CBD oil tinctures that are the stars of the lineup!
Badges For Barlean's
Barlean’s uses hemp grown in the US along with both CO2 and ethanol extraction to make their CBD oil.
Barlean’s is on a mission to create premium natural supplements for mind and body and to support global and local outreach programs.
Barlean’s supports many nonprofits, including Compassion International and Vitamin Angels, to name a couple.
Barlean’s retains the rare USDA organic seal on one of their CBD products and uses emulsification to increase bioavailability.
- CANVIVA (Formerly C4Life) Review - April 4, 2020
- Noble Hemp Review - April 4, 2020
- Discover CBD Review - April 4, 2020
- Palm Organix Review - April 4, 2020
- Carolina Hemp Company Review - April 4, 2020
- Cibedium Review - April 4, 2020
- Happy Tea Review - April 4, 2020
- Holistapet Review - April 4, 2020
- Prima Review - April 4, 2020
- Hempure Review - April 4, 2020